Saturday, October 24, 2009

EVENTS


On the go
Gitex 2009.
picture credit: Nafisa Zaki
People carrying heavy bags and trying hard for a cab to stop or waiting for the bus to come is a common sight in Dubai which is known to be really hot and moist most of the year round.
Especially, when there are exhibitions which are expected to stay for a small period, travelling to the venue gets difficult. And if it’s Gitex, which becomes the most popular shopping getaway for a week, traffic has no boundaries.

"It has happened to me many times; I always get out of my house to go to Gitex but after some time the car does not move and its jam packed. At such times its better I just drop the idea." says Preseillia Monteath, a shopper at Gitex.

But with the onset of metros in Dubai, travelling has become a piece of cake. People who had to think ten times before stepping out of home today just have to swap their cards to reach destination in minutes. Without having to wait in long lines or sweat their guts out calling for taxis.

Especially for people who wanted to go to the much awaited Gitex, metro was like a boon. The passengers were expected to get down at the Rashidiya station from where shuttle buses were available to carry the passengers to the airport expo where Gitex took place.




MR. Aseem Suwaid working in Gitex

picture credit: Nafisa Zaki


"I live in Abu Dhabi, but because I have to work at Gitex, I have come to stay at Dubai for some days. I especially took up the job because I knew travelling would be very easy as there is metro. And I love travelling in it. It is so easy and fast. I always get out of my home at the last minute but reach on time" says Aseem Suwaid an Exhihbitor at Gitex.

Metro and gitex both being a product of the Dubai Government has not left any reason to be complained about. The management, the guides, the routes are made so easy and appropriate that people do not have to bother about not knowing where to go. Security is always ready to help you out and the process of the entire journey takes just some minutes.







MR. Adnan Ali in the shuttle buS

picture credit: Nafisa Zaki



"I have fell in love with the idea of travelling by metro, I came to Gitex twice, once I used the cab, it took me 20 minutes just to wait for the cab to come. Though I was the first in the line, still with metro it took me 20 minutes to reach gitex from my home. After today I love metro, and would like to use it every time I have to go anywhere." says Adnan Ali, a graphic designer.

There is always a rumour and the sayings like 'ohh, my god, you going for gitex, god bless you from the rush' gets common. But now, metros made it so easier that even at peak hours like 6 or 7 when the most visitors are expected, you get an empty seat both in the metro and also in the shuttle buses. As they make rounds and reach stops in just minutes.

"I don’t have to worry about metro or shuttle bus being full, as there is always an empty seat available for me. And even if there is no bus or train at the station, I just have to wait for maximum 5 minutes for it to arrive." says Olga a promoter at gitex.






MS. Ogla, working at Gitex

picture credit: Nafisa Zaki


Technology makes life easy and this is especially true in the case of the metro which has become a boon for travellers who do not have cars and hate to wait for buses or taxis. But it is the responsibility for the government and public both to help in maintaining the good quality of the metro and make it convenient for the public at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment